Sunday, August 23, 2009

An Old Song Becomes New Again


"Layla" by Derek and the Dominos has always been one of my favorite songs. The group features Eric Clapton before he went solo. I don't remember if it was before or after he played with the group Cream. No one plays guitar like Clapton, I can pick him out anywhere even if he is playing on someone else's track.

But the reason I like "Layla" best of anything Clapton has done is the interplay of guitars between Clapton and Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band who was a guest on the track. They play off each other for most of the song, but then it moves into something totally different as a piano joins in. The coalescing sounds of the two guitars and piano is magic and hauntingly beautiful.

If I really want to get into music I turn out the lights to block out all distractions and put on my headphones. In my younger days while listening to it on vinyl, I would turn the lights off, put my headphones on, and lay down on the floor next to my turntable. My total focus would be on the music. I could just hear all of the parts better. Now that I am older I prefer a comfortable chair, but the rest of the scene remains the same.

Tonight I was in the mood for tunes and I eventually came to Clapton. I was melding with the notes when suddenly I heard something that I had never heard before. For some reason the bass was coming through clearer on the headphones in my left ear. Now, I really couldn't tell you how many times through the years I have heard "Layla." It was always the interplay of guitars and piano that made it special. But tonight it was like I was hearing a new song and I had a whole new appreciation for it.

So what does this have to do with anything you might ask? I don't know, but it just makes me wonder. Perhaps there are other things or even people in my life that I might appreciate a little more if I just focused and looked a little deeper or listened more carefully. Like that bass line that I had never noticed before.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

Now I have a hankering to go find this song and listen to it.

I can almost see you laying around with headphones rocking to the tunes! It's a lovely vision indeed!

Have a great day Mary!

August 24, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger lauhal63 said...

You got me on my knees!

August 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger MB Moellenhoff said...

@Rottlady... Thank you! I think it is the best way to appreciate music!

@Lauhal63... lol!!! :)

August 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home